"Just keep swimming"

"Just keep swimming"

Monday, April 6, 2015

Benefits of Social Media

The Pros and Cons of the Daily use of Social media

               " All you kids ever to is look at a screen!" how many times have you heard this from an older relative or maybe a teacher. I know I have but what most people do not know is that social media can be used in a way to help people boost their communication skills. Social media does cut out some of the daily face to face interaction that people have always used . Now when we see each other through the use of Facebook , Instagram and Snap chat most people are still experiencing daily communication just the platform has changed. Though the use of Social media we can communicate faster and exchange ideas quicker. Teachers can use social media to communicate with students to announce an upcoming school event or alert students to a coming due date. If used in the proper way social media can be used effectively to educate. However there is speculation that people have the tendency to use social media as a distraction to learning. Cyber bullying is another serious draw back to the use of social media in schools but also in everyday life. The use of social media does have its own long list of pros and cons but it is up to its user to decide how effective they wish to let it be.

          I personally being a out of state college student love to use social media to check up on family members and friends from home. I find social media to be very helpful with communicating to all of my friends who also went a separate way with their life I like to keep up with everyone. It does become very distracting I do find myself getting lost in social media but being a busy person I never allow myself to much time to look through my social media accounts.

2 comments:

  1. I do love being able to keep communication going with everyone. Sometimes I wish I was born in that earlier generation because I do feel very dependent on my phone! Oh, if the older generation only knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that a good balance is needed. Since moving to college, social media is the latest and easiest way to maintain communication with friends that I graduated with or even family that I don't live close to anymore. However, I am not the one posting something every single minute of my life.

    ReplyDelete